Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tales From the Driver's Side

From Norm Knighton (as told to Carol)

Several weeks ago I received an invitation to volunteer at the Republican National Convention in Tampa. Since that is something I have never done, I responded that I was interested. So, after filling out forms, passing a thorough background check, going through orientation and training, I'm in Tampa to start my "official" duties tomorrow or Saturday. I have been chosen as a driver and will be picking up speakers from the airport and taking them to different locations in downtown Tampa. I will be given a new SUV to drive.
There is so much secrecy surrounding this Convention because rumors are swirling that "Trouble's brewing!" And I'm not talkin' about Hurricane Issac.
Today I stopped at (secret location) to get my shirt. Now's there a problem. I was given one shirt and a baseball cap, but I'm working for the next five or six days. They were pretty adamant about not giving me another. But that's fine because we drivers don't necessarily have to wear a "uniform." We can wear our own clothes as long as we conform to the dress code and look clean and neat. (Which Norm has no problem doing-Carol's add.)
After that I headed south to find my digs for the next week: I'll be staying with friends on their 38' boat. (I'd call that a "yacht"!-Carol's add.) We're about 30 minutes away from the Convention Center. (It's beautiful down there. Norm and I had a look at the location on Saturday. In military parlance, tough duty!!!-Carol's add.
I'm settled in for the night. Tomorrow we'll be doing some test runs to the airport. And then .....

No comments:

Post a Comment